We thought you’d be interesting in hearing about a new and unusual super-fruit that hit the shelves in this summer – the SunGold Kiwi. Grown in New Zealand, the tropical super-fruit with yellow flesh is packed with vitamins and nutrients, making it perfect for smoothies, desserts or snacks.
Plus, with a smoother texture and a mellow taste, it’s great for a healthy, on-the-go treat for children!
Below I’ve listed the health benefits but also some ideas for recipes using SunGold Kiwis. These range from simple ice lollies to the more adventurous BLK (bacon, lettuce and kiwi sandwich!), however we have a host of recipes available so if you’re looking for a specific theme, do let me know?
- Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit has 10 times the nutrition of apples
- High in Vitamin C – Zespri SunGold contains three times more vitamin C than oranges
- Low Glycemic Index – Kiwifruit is an excellent addition to any weight-conscious diet as well as being diabetes friendly. With a low glycemic index (52), this low-fat, low-carb fruit makes a satisfying snack.
- One Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit provides your daily vitamin C needs in an easy and convenient way
- Vitamin C is important for your immune system and can’t be stored in your body
- Kiwifruit also contains antioxidants, which are necessary for whole body health
SunGold Kiwifruit Immune Smoothie Recipe
Required time: 15 minutes
1 heaped cup of Zespri®SunGold Kiwifruit, peeled and quartered
½ cup fresh pineapple chunks, peeled, core removed
½ teaspoon freshly grated turmeric or ¼ teaspoon dried turmeric
Small handful mint leaves, washed and dried
1 teaspoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon coconut oil
1 litre coconut water
Ice – optional
Place all ingredients in a blender and process on full speed until completely smooth and creamy.
SunGold Kiwifruit Ice Lollies
Serves: 10 people
Preparation: 20 minutes + a few hours
- 1 litre exotic fruit juice as desired
• 2 tbsps icing sugar
• 3 Zespri Green or SunGold Kiwifruits, peeled and thinly sliced
• Ice lolly moulds
Tip: try with a variety of fruit juices
- Mix the fruit juice with the icing sugar.
- Store in fridge.
- Divide the kiwifruit between the ice lolly moulds
- Top up with fruit juice.
- Put the ice lollies in the freezer for several hours.
SunGold Brown Rice Roasted Nut and Kiwi Salad
Bacon Lettuce and Kiwifruit Sandwiches (BLK)
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Start to Finish: 5 minutes
- 1/4 cup herbed soft cheese spread
- 8 medium slices bread
- 2 Zespri Organic Green Kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 2 Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 8 slices crisply-cooked lower-sodium bacon
- 4 lettuce leaves
Spread 1 tablespoon cheese on each of 4 slices bread. Divide kiwifruit, bacon and lettuce over cheese. Top with remaining slices of bread.
Recipe tip: A serrated peeler works best for peeling kiwifruit.
Serving Size: 1 Sandwich Calories 290 (Calories from Fat 110), Total Fat 12g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 25mg, Sodium 610mg, Total Carbohydrate 37g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 10g), Protein 10g; % Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 130%; Calcium 10%; Iron 15%.
Almond Tart with SunGold Kiwi
SunGold Kiwifruit and Hazelnut Cookies
Smoothie with Zespri®SunGold Kiwifruit and strawberries
Required time: 15 minutes
4 Zespri®SunGold Kiwifruit, peeled and chopped
500g strawberries, hulled
100ml ice cubes
300ml sparkling water
Finely chopped mint
Liquidise everything except the mint leaves in a blender
Divide the smoothie between four glasses and garnish with mint.