Exercising while looking after young children is now easier than ever, and even provides a great opportunity to have quality time with your child, thanks to award winning national budget gym chain Xercise4Less.
The club’s Health and Fitness Executive and mum of 18 month old Isaac, Sarah Philp, gives her top five exercises that you can do with your baby:
- Squat and overhead press (baby held under armpits facing mum – blow raspberry on baby’s tummy when overhead!)
- Alternate forward lunges with torso twist (baby hugged in tight to chest, keep hips forward and twist shoulders)
- Upright rows (baby facing outwards, held under armpits, elbows up high above shoulders)
- Rock-a-bye biceps (hold baby cradled in arms – curl up high to chest and roll back down to contract biceps, rock side to side)
- Reverse curls (lie baby on shins and raise knees up over hips whilst lying on back – tilt pelvis and squeeze pelvic floor then release. repeat)
Sarah recently celebrated being given the go ahead to develop a new range of services dedicated for new parents and women during pregnancy, within the gym chain.
As part of this initiative Sarah, who is qualified in Level 3 Personal Training and has just received her Pre and Post-Natal certificate has recently launched the Xercise4Mums blog where she offers tips and advice on maintaining a healthy lifestyle despite having young children or being pregnant.
The fortnightly blog educates readers about the journey from bump to birth to new post-baby body. It is full of useful advice on how and when to exercise throughout pregnancy, how to prepare for birth, recovering safely post-baby along with tips and tricks on how to create time to exercise once the baby is born. It is found at www.xercise4less.co.uk/xercise4mums.
Xercise4Less was accredited in the National Parent Guide, a nationwide educational initiative rolled out to all new parents nationally to help prepare them for important challenges they face. The club was included as part of the guidance for dealing with the critical role exercise has on physical and psychological aspects of having a baby.
Xercise4Less is a leading UK budget gym chain with 25 sites and nearly 200,000 members and has plans for 30 more by the end of 2016. For more information on visit http://www.xercise4less.co.uk/